Historic Hackley Park
Hackley Park is a National Historic Designated Park that was dedicated to Civil War Veterans and presented to the City of Muskegon in 1890 by Charles H. Hackley. Its focal point is an eighty-foot tall soldier’s monument in the center of the park. Statues of Farragut, Sherman, Grant and Lincoln grace the corners of the park and creates a strong visual image upon entering the downtown Muskegon.
Hackley Park is often used to host various ceremonies, rallies, and concerts, and annually hosts the Lakeshore Art Festival and Parties-in-the-Park in summer months. The park is beautifully decorated for the Christmas season and hosts a Lighting of the Tree festivity. The proximity to Heritage Village, the County Museum, Hackley Library, and the Art Museum add to its value to the City.
In 2014, in celebration of Parties in the Park’s 30th year, our board of directors decided to give a gift to the City of Muskegon. Together with our generous community partners, we raised enough money to construct a beautiful, permanent stage that can be used for many community events, both educational and recreational. This stage is handicapped accessible and includes a roof to protect artists from rain.The design was chosen to honor Hackley Park’s significance and beauty, as well as its history and purpose.